We Did Not Ask for This Room

© Stephen King
We Did Not Ask For This Room

We did not ask for this room,
       or this music;
       we were invited in.
Therefore,
because the dark surrounds us,
       let us turn our faces toward the light.
Let us endure hardship
       to be grateful for plenty.
We have been given pain
       to be astounded by joy.
We have been given life
       to deny death.
We did not ask for this room,
       or this music.
But because we are here,
       let us dance.

========================================

On Friday evening, I learned that Stephen King’s 11.22.63 had been made into an eight-part series on Hulu,  and I decided to use a trial membership to take a look at it.  Last night, I finished the last of eight episodes, having been completely spellbound by the drama.  The novel was incredible; the series, though rather different in some respects, was likewise incredible.  Despite its title and setting regarding the Kennedy assassination, 11.22.63 is in truth a love story — one with depth and power.   The series ends with one of the central characters reciting a poem (apparently written by King) that is quite appropriate. It’s rather interesting to think of Stephen King creating beauty, given that he is known for horror, but — I was just astounded.   I can’t do a reads-to-reels post because it’s been so long since I’ve read the book, but here’s the trailer in case you’re interested.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to We Did Not Ask for This Room

1. mudpuddle says:

it looks overly intense for us: we're pretty much nonviolent types; but i'm glad you enjoyed it… i've never read anything by SK, being more or less allergic to horror, sadism, violence and like that…

I used to have a strong antipathy to anything supernatural, fantasy-esque, etc, so I only read his semi-SF works. This one is mostly historical fiction, actually — but it does have violence in abundance, including violent language.

3. R. T. says:

King has been such an outspoken political looney that I’ve given up on all things SK.

Both the book & the TV show intrigued me. Whilst I'm not a *huge* fan I did like some of his stuff – 'Firestarter' and even 'Christine'. I might check this one out too. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that…I don't know about King's politics, personally, but it's a shame that politics in general can poison so much.

You're welcome! I actually have a book on the assassination (\”Dallas 1963\”, I think…a Christmas gift from a couple of years ago) which I might now read.