Teaser Tuesday (7 December)

On every Tuesday, MizB of ShouldBeReading hosts Teaser Tuesday, in which we share two-sentence tidbits from our current read(s). As always I cheat. My teasers are below. On a more serious note, 7 December is also the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, which killed thousands of people and forced the United States into an active role during the Second World War. It might be appropriate at some point today to consider the lives lost in Hawaii and the Philippines, for whom a quiet Sunday morning turned into a fight to survive.

And now that I’ve depressed you with thoughts of explosions and death, here’s a little levity.

“How long until I stand for reelection?”

“Two years, three months, and nine days, Madam President.”

“Is there any way to rig it so I lose next time?”

“I’ll try, but I regret to inform you that your approval ratings are excellent.”

“Do what you can.”

(p. 184, Zero Sum Game. David Mack.)

As insightful as some of their speculations about nature were, most of the ideas of the ancient Greeks would not pass muster as valid science in modern times. For one, because the Greeks had not invented the scientific method, their theories were not developed with the goal of experimental verification. So if one scholar claimed an atom moved in a straight line until it collided with a second atom and another scholar claimed it moved in a straight line until it bumped into a cyclopes, there was no objective way to settle the argument.

(p. 22, The Grand Design. Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.)

“Captain Dax,” he said. “I am Commander Marius of the warbird Dekkna. Your vessel is outnumbered, outgunned, and surrounded.”

“I’ll give you two out of three,” Dax said, flashing a cold smile at the Romulan. “You definitely outnumber us, and I can’t deny we’re surrounded.”

Her cockiness seemed to throw Marius off. He frowned. “You will lower your shields, surrender your vessel, and prepare to be boarded.”

“The hell I will.”Ā

(p. 151, Zero Sum Game. David Mack.)

This entry was posted in memes and surveys, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Teaser Tuesday (7 December)

1. Jennifer says:

My favourite is The Grand Design. Excellent teaser choices. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/12/teaser-tuesdays-queen-hereafter.html

2. I LOVE coming and seeing what teasers you post each week! THat last one cracked me up šŸ™‚ Here's my teaser

3. Marg says:

Love the Zero Sum Game quotes!

My teaser is here

4. Madeleine says:

Hilarious! I especially love the first one! šŸ™‚

Here's our teaser for the week.

From Dax's comment I'm guessing that she's in the Defiant!

[laughs]

6. Ah, I liked all of them, but especially the first one, which made me chuckle.

And here's to remembering Pearl Harbor Day, which happened just 10 months before I was born…Hmmm.

Here's my teaser:

7. Aimee says:

The first one made me laugh! Great teasers! My teaser is Here

8. @CyberKitten: In spirit if not in fact. šŸ˜‰ She's flying her own ship, the Aventine.

9. Here is my teaser from Witchgrass: A Pipe Dream by Dave Wilkinson (Page 1):

Most gardeners hate witchgrass. Of all weeds it is one of the most persistent and adaptable. Any small piece of rhizome left in the soil can become an aggressive plant ready to take over the plot. Witchgrass is hard to pull. Roots are deep, and break off easily. Any part left in the ground will grow again. Farmers say the species isn't even good as hay, not as good as timothy or alfalfa. Some call it quickgrass.

Early New England colonists blamed evil people for this garden invader. In the seventeenth century villagers would speak this way:

“The surly woman living alone on her dead husband's estate. She goes into the woods and consorts with the Devil. Signs his book. Fornicates with him. Eats mushrooms. She and the Devil send witchgrass to harass the virtuous and the Godly. Let us hang this witch and seize her rich farm.”

10. jlshall says:

Oh, those nasty Romulans are always such trouble-makers! I love it! Those are three excellent teasers. Glad you cheated.