Teaser Tuesday (21 Sept)

Teases on Tuesdays sometimes come in threes. Here, anyway.

Let us begin with fundamentals. The first requisite for a young writer is paper. You will find that the work will go much better if the paper has not been previously written on.

(Max Shulman’s Large Economy Size)

Let a Stoic open the resources of man, and tell men they are not leaning willows, but can and must detach themselves; that with the exercise of self-trust, new powers shall appear; that a man is the word made flesh, born to shed healing to the nations, that he should be ashamed of our compassion, and that the moment he acts from himself, tossing the laws, the books, idolatries, and customs out the window, we shall pity him no more but thank and revere him, — and that teacher shall restore the life of man to splendor and make his name dear to all History.

(p. 43, The Essays of Ralph Waldo Emerson. “Self Reliance”).

I have never been able to trace the source of my passion for fossils. Neither, to their eternal bafflement, could my family. Indeed, it was the basis for some unease that I spent so much of my childhood drawing and painting skulls — scarcely a healthy hobby for a growing boy, after all.

(p. 1, The African Exodus. Christopher Stirnger and Robin McKie

This entry was posted in memes and surveys, Reviews, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Teaser Tuesday (21 Sept)

1. Interesting. Maybe not books I'd read but you still need to appreciate a good book.

Here's my Tuesday Teaser

2. Alice Audrey says:

Yes, paper is handy, but these days I'll settle for a computer screen.

My teaser is here.

3. Madeleine says:

All good teasers but I have to say the first one is a killer 😀 Hilarious!

Here's ours for this week.

4. The African Exodus sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that one.

5. Anonymous says:

The African Exodus sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that one.

6. Alayne says:

These are some hefty teasers! Thanks for sharing. Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

7. E.J. Stevens says:

Great teasers! My TT from City of Ashes is here.
    xx,
    E.J.
    From the Shadows

8. Lori says:

Not something I would read, but I hope that you enjoy your book. Check out my Tuesday Teaser.

9. It is rather true that blank, not-previously-written-on paper can be easier to work with. LOL.

I haven't read Emerson, but I've certainly heard of him before–that paragraph is interesting!

I love fossils, too. I don't believe I've ever drawn a skull, but they are fascinating.

Great teasers!

My two sentences are from Morpheus Road: The Light by D.J. MacHale.